Prepare white currant jam for the winter much less often than from red or black. This is due to the fact that not everyone on the site can find such an outlandish berry. White currant is no less rich in nutrients and vitamins than other types, but it tastes sweeter and more aromatic.
Is it possible to cook white currant jam
Traditional harvesting for the winter can be made not only from classic black and red berries, but also from white ones. Jam is a simple, tasty, natural dessert, and a short heat treatment allows you to preserve most of the nutrients and vitamins in the product. Visually, a delicacy from white currant turns out to be less bright than from other varieties. But the absence of coloring pigments has a positive effect on the chemical composition of human blood, the work of the heart, it is hypoallergenic, so even children can be given a treat from this berry.
How to make white currant jam
The preparation of any dish begins with the right choice of products and ingredients. The season for picking white currants starts in mid-July and lasts until August. The fruits are removed from the bush along with the branches, because in this form it is easier to transport and keep them intact, but before cooking, they are disconnected from the stalks and only the berries themselves get into the jam.
Advice! To make the dessert not only tasty, but also visually attractive, it is important to carefully rinse the grains and not damage them.
It is more convenient to do this under a slight pressure of cool running water, putting the berries in a colander. After that, you need to let the grains dry a little in a natural way and you can proceed to the most interesting stage.
White currant jam recipes
According to the method of preparation, white currant jam is almost no different from recipes using red or black. At first glance, it may seem visually inconspicuous and even unappetizing. Many people prefer to combine other ingredients with berries, so there are many ways to prepare a traditional winter dessert.
The classic recipe for delicious white currant jam
The simplest and most familiar recipe for a delicacy consists of classic ingredients and proportions:
- 1 kg of white currant;
- 1 kg of granulated sugar;
- 1 glass of clean water.
- Pour sugar into a large container, for example, an enamel basin, then add a glass of water.
- Put the dishes on low heat, stir the contents constantly slowly.
- After the syrup has boiled, berries should be added to it.
- The foam that forms on the surface is removed with a spoon so that the jam is a beautiful amber-transparent color.
- The cooking time depends on the desired consistency of the treat, but in the classic version it takes no more than 15 minutes.
- Hot jam is poured into jars. The storage container must be sterilized with high quality, since the shelf life of the workpiece depends on this. The easiest way to do this is with boiling water or steam. Half-liter jars are sterilized for about 15 minutes, liter jars for 5-10 minutes longer, and large 3-liter containers for at least half an hour.
Jelly white currant jam
Another distinguishing feature of this valuable natural product is the content of natural pectin. This substance allows you to make jelly-like workpieces without the use of special thickeners. The process of preparing such a treat is more laborious than the classic one, but the result is worth the effort.
- The berries are pre-washed, dried and chopped using a blender, meat grinder or juicer. The choice of household appliances does not really matter, it is important to grind the grains as much as possible.
- The prepared gruel is additionally rubbed through a metal sieve in order to finally get rid of the grains and remnants of the skin. The result should be golden juice, which is mixed with granulated sugar. The ratio is the same as for classic jam making. One kilogram of juice takes the same amount of sugar.
- The ingredients are added to a large dish, which is placed over medium heat, the contents are cooked for about 40 minutes.
- The foam that will form during cooking is removed with a spoon.
- It is very easy to check the readiness of a treat You need to take a little thickened liquid and drip it on a saucer, if it does not spread after a minute, then the treat is ready to be sent to sterilized jars.
Important! Particular attention should be paid to constant stirring during cooking so that the jelly-like mass does not burn to the bottom.
This jam will appeal not only to adults, but also to children, because there are no seeds in it. A jelly-like delicacy is suitable for pancakes, pancakes, cheese cakes, it can be added to cereals, eaten with fresh pastries or just with tea.
White currant five-minute jam for the winter
A feature of currant jam is that it can be cooked very quickly, perhaps due to the small size of the grains. When there is no desire to spend a lot of time on traditional jam for the winter, then they use a simple recipe that takes no more than five minutes, it is only important to prepare the ingredients in advance.
- White currant berries are thoroughly washed, detached from the stalks and dried naturally.
- Then the selected grains are carefully poured into a deep container.
- Sugar is added to them in a 1: 1 ratio and mixed.
- When the berries secrete juice, and some of the grains of sugar dissolve in it, the contents are placed on the stove and brought to a boil over high heat. It will take about 5 minutes for this, depending on the amount of ingredients.
An important advantage of such a dessert is that short-term heat treatment allows you to preserve the maximum amount of nutrients, vitamins and microelements for white currant berries.
White currant jam without boiling
One of the main advantages of this tasty and sweet berry is its high vitamin C content, which is even more than lemons or oranges. Unfortunately, during heat treatment, its amount in products almost disappears. For those who want to eat not only tasty, but also healthy, there is a simple recipe for sweets without boiling.
- Currant grains are twisted with a meat grinder or chopped with a blender.
- The gruel is thoroughly mixed with sugar in a standard ratio of 1: 1.
- It is not recommended to store such a product in the refrigerator, as it will quickly deteriorate, so it is frozen in the freezer in plastic containers or other containers.
It is difficult to call such a dish a usual jam, but in fact it is, and its benefits can be multiplied several times thanks to the cold cooking method.
White currant jam with orange
Incredibly sweet and aromatic, white currants go well with sour citrus fruits like oranges. This treat can be prepared in two ways: cold and hot.
The first option involves mixing all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Currants and oranges must be thoroughly washed, dried, cut the fruit into small slices.
- For one kilogram of berries, take two medium oranges and a kilogram of granulated sugar.
- All ingredients are thoroughly mixed in a blender or food processor and sent to pre-sterilized jars.
Attention! To prepare a healthy dessert, it is important not to remove the peel from the orange, as it contains a large amount of vitamins. Such a delicious treat will be an excellent charge of vivacity, it will be able to support the immune system in the cold season and cheer you up.
The hot method is naturally different from the cold one.
- Selected and dried grains of white currant are combined with slices of orange carefully peeled from the seeds, covered with sugar. The ratio of ingredients is the same as for cold cooking.
- After 1-1.5 hours, the currants and oranges will give juice, and the sugar will partially dissolve.
- Fruit and berry gruel is sent to the stove and boiled over medium heat for about 20 minutes, removing the foam with a spoon.
Unusual white currant and gooseberry jam
Currants go well with gooseberries. The jam turns out to be aromatic, slightly sour, with a completely unique taste.
- The berries of the white currant peeled from the stalks are crushed using a blender or a meat grinder, the resulting mass is rubbed through a metal sieve to get rid of the skin and seeds.
- The gooseberries are thoroughly washed, the bottom and tail are cut off with a sharp knife.
- The ratio of berries in the recipe for each housewife is different, they are repelled by their own taste preferences. The classic option is 1 to 1.
- Add sugar to a saucepan with a small amount of water, stir it over medium heat until it dissolves. The more gooseberries, the more sand is added to the recipe. The classic ratio of all ingredients is the same - one kilogram each.
- Currant juice and gooseberries are added to the pot after the sugar is completely dissolved in the water.
- A minimum fire is set, the future jam is periodically stirred and boiled for about 20 minutes.
- At the last stage, the hot dessert is poured into small sterilized jars.
Jam from white and red currants for the winter
In taste and composition, white currant differs from red currant less than from black. Some people mistakenly believe that the first is an immature version of the second. This similarity has led to the fact that the duo of the flavor combinations of these berries is incredible. Bright scarlet berries make a winter dessert visually appealing and appetizing. The recipe for making such a jam is very similar to the classic one, just part of the white currant is replaced with red.
- A kilogram of sugar and one glass of water are combined in a large bowl. It is preferable to use an enamel or copper basin as a container.
- A thick syrup should form over low heat with constant stirring.
- The contents are brought to a boil, one kilogram of berries is added. The classic ratio of grains ¾ white and ¼ red, but the preponderance in one direction or another will not be critical and will hardly affect the taste of such a dessert.
- For 25-30 minutes over low heat, the contents are boiled in an enamel bowl, then the hot delicacy is poured into sterilized jars.
Terms and conditions of storage
To keep the jam from mold and spoilage throughout the cold season, you need not only to keep it in the right conditions, but also to sterilize the container with high quality, use only whole dishes, without damage and cracks. The ideal option for this dessert would be a small half-liter glass jar.
You need to store the jam either on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator or in the basement, but a properly prepared delicacy can also be stored at room temperature, if it does not exceed + 20 ° C. It is also necessary to protect the banks from direct sunlight, so it is better to choose a dark place.
Properly cooked white currant jam can be stored under the right conditions for up to several years. Such a long period is possible due to the fact that there are no seeds in the berries, which emit a poison dangerous to health - hydrocyanic acid.
If a treat is prepared in a cold way, that is, it is not boiled, then it is placed in the freezer or eaten within a week.
Delicious and healthy white currant jam for the winter can be prepared in many ways. Some of them require literally a few minutes, others hard and painstaking work, which pays off with the taste and useful properties of this delicacy. Such a variety of recipes will allow everyone to choose the one that suits him.