Those people who seek to create comfort and coziness in the house, probably often thought about purchasing a rocking chair. After all, sitting in it, you can spend a very pleasant time, for example, read an interesting book with a cup of hot tea in your hand or just dream by the fireplace in the winter evening, hiding in a warm blanket.
Peaceful swaying relaxes, calms and gives peace. That is why so many people like to swing even on ordinary chairs (office or home), which very often break from such use. But if there is a rocking chair in the house, then such breakdowns can be avoided, since it is adapted toto perform such manipulations. But the problem is that the rocking chair is a pretty expensive purchase.
If there is no desire to spend big money on such a thing, then from a similar situation you can find a simple way out - to make this thing with your own hands. But few people know how to make a rocking chair with their own hands correctly. This issue needs to be sorted out in detail..
Today, a very large number of varieties of rocking chairs are made. They may vary in scope, design, fabrication materials and upholstery design. And all this should be carefully studied to choose the most suitable option for self-production.
Variety of designs
By the type of structure of the chair are divided into several types:
- Simple radius skids-skis, rocker arms, arches. These chairs appeared the very first, but they are used in our days. They are very simple to manufacture, but have one serious drawback - they can very easily tip over if they sway a lot. In this regard, a specially low landing is made in order to create a greater excess of the center of the generatrix of the circle over the center of gravity. And also there are varieties that have a closing horizontal arc. Such a model is made according to individual drawings, which take into account the weight and height of the person, as well as the purposes for which the chair is intended.
- Runners of variable curvature. On such structures, there is no risk of tipping over. The chair is made so long that when leaning back there was no way to fall, and if you lean forward, then the person is simply pushed out of the seat. For manufacturing, it is better to use ready-made drawings, since the process of constructing them is very complicated.
- Elliptical skids. Swinging on such equipment is very soft. Often supplied with chippers, which is located behind, as well as running boards in front or springs. At home, you can’t make it yourself, because special varieties of wood and rubber-treated metal strips are used for this.
- A sliding chair or glider. Unlike previous designs, the base here always remains stationary. Swinging is achieved thanks to an installed mechanism resembling a pendulum. This option is difficult for making at home a novice master.
- Garden chair. This type of rocking chair will not lose stability in absolutely any position. This is due to the fact that the seat is made as runners. If you lean heavily back, the chair will fall into a horizontal position, but will not roll over, and if you make a little effort, it will return to its original position. It’s not easy to make a drawing, but you can find ready-made options on the Internet and make a chair for them.
Types of materials
To make a rocking chair with your own hands, usually use the following materials:
- Wood. For these purposes, take conifers, larch or oak. The master will need some experience in joinery wood processing, as well as knowledge of how to fasten parts.
- Plywood. This will be the best option for a beginner needlewoman. Work will require a minimum of tools and skills, since all details can be cut with a conventional jigsaw.
- Rattan or vine. It is better not to tackle such materials if you have not worked with them before. You must have knowledge of the proper harvesting, drying and processing of vines. And also it is necessary to have weaving skills. It is also worth considering that rattan simply does not grow in Russia and must be ordered from Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Metal. Metal products are famous for their durability and strength. But they always have a lot of weight. To work with such material, it is necessary to have some forging and welding skills, as well as to purchase or make a pipe bending machine yourself if the chair is made of pipes. Usually only the frame is made of metal, and the seat is already made of various types of wood. With the help of such a chair you can spoil your floor, in addition, such equipment looks more appropriate in the country or in a country house, but not in the apartment.
- Profile pipe. Arcs of elliptical form are made of this material. It takes welding skills to make a chair out of pipes.
- Plastic pipe. This is a very lightweight and durable material that is fairly easy to work with. Need to buy fittings, as well as a blowtorch. The cost of the product is not too high, and therefore very often novice masters choose this option.
Depending on the place where the chair will be installed, they are divided into objects of home or street use. If you want to put the product in the open air, then it is worth considering the fact that the material will be affected by sunlight, as well as weather conditions.
Metal is not afraid of various temperature drops, but it needs to be treated with a special anti-corrosion compound. And also such material has a rather large weight, and therefore it is advisable to place it not on the ground, but on a stone base. A wooden podium or loose ground such a chair simply sells. The best option would be to manufacture a metal product with a wooden seat and removable pillows.
A wooden chair is treated with a special waterproof coating. It is especially necessary to carefully monitor this if the chair is made of plywood. Hot drying oil is usually applied to the ends, and then flattened with a hammer so that moisture does not penetrate inside. After this procedure, the elements are coated with a double layer of varnish. A wooden chair does not need to be kept outdoors, otherwise it will lose its original appearance.
The best option for outdoor use is a rocking chair made of plastic. It will not rot, nor will it be exposed to the sun or rain. Such products are quite light and durable, and if necessary they can be moved absolutely anywhere in the territory. But on the street it is undesirable to use soft upholstery, since it will need to be constantly brought into the house when it rains.
DIY chair making
Each item that is not bought in a store, but is made at home independently, carries a completely different energy than the option purchased with money. At production it is possible to realize absolutely any fantasies and wishes. Make DIY chair not too difficult and even beginners can handle this task. But it is always necessary to have enough patience, and not to deviate from these instructions. Consider the two simplest options that everyone can do.
Rocking chair from a wooden chair
The simplest option for manufacturing, which is suitable for any beginner, is a rocking chair from an old chair. Here you will not have to spend a lot both financially and in terms of free time. Only a few skids will need to be made. To ensure that the structure is stable and does not tip over, the center of gravity shifts down. To do this, file the legs under an arc on which the chair will subsequently be placed.
To make such a chair, you need to take only two long and wide pieces of wood, from which arcs are cut. After that, holes are made in them with a drill, through which a chair is attached using screws.
Production of a garden chair (vanka-vstanka)
In order to make a rocking chair out of plywood with your own hands, you need to use high-quality material. The drawing can be completed with your own hands.if everything is correctly calculated and a ready-made version is used.
Tools and materials
Before you begin appropriate tools and materials should be prepared:
- Electric jigsaw.
- A grinding machine that has various attachments.
- Drill or screwdriver.
- A plywood sheet with a thickness of 20 or 30 mm.
- A bar of 50 by 25 mm, which will be used as a cladding.
- Three connecting bars 30 by 50 mm.
- Self-tapping screws.
- Joiner's glue.
- The antiseptic that will process the tree.
- Tape measure or meter.
- Graph paper.
When everything you need is at hand, you can begin to manufacture it directly.
To begin with, with the help of an antiseptic, we process plywood. And while you are working on the drawing, the sheet will have time to dry enough.
The garden chair is also called a vanka-vstanka, and does not require any individual parameters. If you wish, you can make any changes to the finished drawing. For example, if necessary, you can make a double chair.
DIY rocking chair (plywood drawing):
The drawing must be transferred to graph paper, and then thick paper in the full size of the parts. We cut everything out and transfer it to plywood. The sides are made of plywood, and the fasteners are made of bars. As a casing, you can prepare slats. Both sides should be exactly the same. And you also need to make sure that there are no bumps or bulges on the entire surface, otherwise the surface will not be smooth and the rocking chair will lose its basic properties.
We cut out plywood with an electric jigsaw. The most optimal connection of parts in a rocking chair is spike. If it is not provided in the drawing, then it is necessary to make spikes and cuts under them in the sidewalls. From the slats we cut the facing strip. If there are any residues from wood, then you can save them, because they will come in handy if the chair needs to be repaired.
Now we use a grinding machine or an ordinary skin and we process all the bevels with high quality. Particular attention must be paid to the ends. We will break their fibers with a hammer so that moisture does not penetrate into them. All elements must be well painted and primed, but the ends must also be given special attention when painting.
We connect the sides with the help of bars. If there is a spike connection, then the spikes are inserted into the cuts, which are pre-lubricated with wood glue. If they are not there, it is necessary to mark the joints on the sidewalls and make a hole with a drill 8 mm, and at the ends of the beam - 5 mm. We use Euroscrews and tighten everything.
Now it remains only to attach the trim strips. So that they lie flat, we mark everything out first. There should be 4 marks on each board, that is, two marks on each side. To facilitate the work, we make a template from the scraps of the rail, drill 2 holes in them, and the work will go much faster. So that the bar does not crack when we fix it, we pre-drill a hole with a thin drill, and we already screw the screws on it to the sidewall. The distance between the rails should be approximately 15 mm.
Now all that remains is painting. We use high-quality soil and paint. The chair is ready and you can test it.
With a garden chair, you can experiment, make for two, a small child (the child will have lots of fun swinging in it), as well as purchase or make a massage back. Fantasy here is unlimited. And if the skills allow, then it is quite possible to try to weave a rocking chair from a vine on your own.
But remember that for the first option you should not be wise and take up the manufacture of some homemade papasan. First, make the simplest design in order to fill your hand.