The canopy above the porch is not only an aesthetic part of the house, but also a necessary element that protects the entrance to the house from heavy rain and ultraviolet exposure. Therefore, when building a house, they pay special attention to the porch. Thanks to its simple construction, even a novice can make a canopy on their own. How to make a canopy over the porch, and what materials will be needed for this?
Types of visors
It takes several days to independently make a visor or canopy. How complex the work will turn out depends on the form of construction. There are several types of visor designs:
- Shed visor. The support or suspension visor tilted at a slight angle may have a straight or concave construction.
- Gable canopy. The most reliable visor design. It consists of two inclined surfaces. Due to this, snow is evenly distributed over the surface, without creating a large load on the structure.
- Peak - a tent. The device has a semicircular shape, which resembles a tent. A canopy on both sides completely covers the porch.
- Canopy arch. The canopy is round in shape, covering the porch on all sides.
Despite the fact that the canopy and canopy have a similar design, they are mounted in different ways. The visor is mounted directly to the wall of the structure, and the canopy is mounted on beams. How to attach the structure, directly or to the beams, depends on the main structure.
In addition to design features, visors differ in types of material. The material used is wood, iron, polycarbonate, PVC, corrugated board, metal tile. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Wood. The wooden visor is perfectly combined with massive buildings, and is also suitable for buildings created in a rustic style. Basically, only supports for structures are created from wood material. And the roof is covered with metal tile, slate or any other material, except plastic and polycarbonate. This material does not harmonize with the tree and will look ridiculous. To prevent mold, insects and rot, the wooden structure must be treated with a protective agent.
Metal tile. High strength material has many advantages. It has not only a beautiful aesthetic appearance, but also has good heat resistance and resistance to mechanical stress. It has a long service life. Lightweight material looks heavy, so it is used for buildings with a similar roof.
- Polycarbonate. Due to its lightness, polycarbonate is used as a roofing material in the manufacture of arbors, verandas, greenhouses, greenhouses and peaks. Flexible material takes any form of construction, illuminates the porch well, is not susceptible to decay and mold development has a large color gamut. That is why builders prefer to use this particular material. If the polycarbonate sheets do not have a protective layer, then when exposed to ultraviolet radiation, they will turn yellow over time. This is the only flaw in the material.
- PVC. Lightweight plastic material has the same characteristics as polycarbonate. It is often used for the construction of awnings. The material has a large color gamut and, unlike polycarbonate, is much cheaper.
- Decking. The material allows you to create an imitation of metal tiles or wood, with its help you can arrange the porch in different colors. A visor above the porch from corrugated board is easy to do with your own hands, so craftsmen often use this material. During a strong hail, the corrugated board is deformed. Given this, in the manufacture of the visor take the thickest sheets. In addition, it does not let in sunlight, so it is not recommended to use it for spherical visors.
- Iron. The porch, decorated with a canopy, decorated with wrought iron elements, has a presentable and rich appearance. Wrought iron is the most expensive material. Due to the large weight, it is very difficult to make and independently install the structure. Poor installation threatens to collapse the structure. Therefore, it is better if all the installation work is done by specialists.
How reliable the design will turn out and how long it will last depends on a properly fixed frame. You can fix the canopy to the wall in several ways:
- Using brackets.
- By welding to wall-mounted fittings.
- The support beam is bolted to the wall.
There are a few basic rules and requirements that should be available visors and awnings over the porch. A design made to the required standards will last longer:
- The canopy should protect not only the front door, but the entire porch.
- Own weight of the peak, the severity of snow and the weight of entwining plants, all this must be taken into account when designing the structure.
- Be sure to install a storage tank for collecting water and storm sewers.
- The material and color of the canopy should match the main exterior of the house.
Peak over a door on support
You can make a roof visor on supports with your own hands from any material. All work consists of several stages: installation of supports, assembly and construction of the frame, casing.
- First we install two concrete or metal racks. But also as a support, you can use a brick. Supports are placed at a distance of two meters from the wall of the house. If a tree is used as a support, then the lower side, which is buried in the ground, is coated with mastic. This will create protection against decay.
- The depth of the pits under the supports should be about 70 cm. A layer of sand 20 cm and 20 cm - crushed stone are laid on the bottom. Everything is carefully compacted and poured with concrete mortar. A pillar is installed in the finished hole, which is poured with the remaining solution.
- Supports file up to the desired level after the concrete has hardened. This usually takes a week.
- In the wall we make holes up to 20 cm deep. The holes are placed parallel to each column.
- We insert one side of the beam into the hole, and lay the other end on the support and fix it with studs and nuts.
- If according to the plan the roof of the canopy will be flat, then boards are laid across the beams, which are covered with a roof covering from above. A full-fledged skate with an 80-centimeter pitch will be needed to erect a gable canopy. First, a crate is made, then a counter-crate and a waterproofing membrane.
- We cover the upper side of the canopy with a roofing, and the lower part - with PVC panels or siding.
Sometimes spotlights are sewn into the visor, which can illuminate the porch in the dark.
To make a polycarbonate visor above the porch with your own hands, you need to prepare a drawing and the necessary tools for construction. The design parameters include the following:
- To prevent stagnation of precipitation on the roof, a suitable angle of inclination of the structure is calculated.
- The visor must be at least 80 cm long.
- About 50 cm are added to the width of the front door and the width of the visor is calculated.
As the material, metal profile pipes and polycarbonate sheets are used. The thickness of the sheet can be from 1 cm or more.
Of the building tool you will need: an electric drill, a screwdriver and a welding machine, as well as a building level, tape measure and pencil. Polycarbonate sheets are fixed with self-tapping screws.
- A frame for a canopy is assembled from profile pipes.
- All parts of the frame are welded and additionally fixed with stiffeners. Depending on the size of the canopy, the number of ribs is determined.
- Using a drill with a metal nozzle, four mounting holes are made in the frame.
- Next, mark the places for mounting the supports on the wall of the house and attach the frame.
- We process the pipes with a primer and then paint.
- A sealing tape covers all end places.
- Polycarbonate sheets cannot be installed back to back, as they tend to expand. Therefore, when mounting between the panels leave a small gap.
- The area between the canopy and the wall is carefully sealed. This will protect the porch from water.
- When everything is ready, remove the protective film from polycarbonate.
What's in fashion?
Currently, instead of the usual visor above the porch, marquises have been used. Awnings are a fabric roof that is installed not only above the porch, but also above the windows. Advantages of the Marquises:
- It has water-resistant functions, perfectly withstands hail.
- It does not fade in the sun.
Modern models are equipped with retractable systems. The angle of inclination and the opening level of the canopy can be adjusted depending on the position and intensity of the sun. Along with the awnings, additional racks can be purchased. Racks are installed in front of the house in the ground, a canopy is mounted upstairs - a magnificent arbor is obtained.