The creation of a beautiful flower bed should be preceded by a careful development of the plan: flowers are selected according to the shade of inflorescences, flowering time, in accordance with the requirements for care, soil composition and growing conditions. Most of all, flower growers value bright, but unpretentious plants that can exist in almost any conditions and coexist with different flowers. One of these types is godetia, planting and caring for which is extremely simple, and its large inflorescences look bright and delicate at the same time. Godetia is suitable for decorating flower beds and borders, it is good as a decoration for window sills and balconies, and these flowers look great in bouquets.
How to grow godetia in the open field, in boxes or flowerpots, how to plant this flower correctly and how to care for it, will be described in detail in this article. Also here will be indicated the optimal timing of planting seeds for the seedling method and direct sowing in the ground.
Features of the view
In nature, godetia grows in the Americas. The flower is named in honor of the Swiss botanist Godet, who was one of the first to be puzzled by the question of the breeding of godetia in European countries.
Godetia is a herbaceous annual plant of the Cyprus family. In nature, there are about twenty species of this culture. Breeders are constantly developing new varieties of a delicate, showy flower.
- the flower is an annual;
- at the beginning of the season, the stems of the plant are herbaceous, by the end of summer they become lignified;
- the length of the stems rarely exceeds 60 cm, the plant is compact;
- leaves are lanceolate or broadly lanceolate, painted in a juicy green color, arranged in the next order;
- sprawling bushes, narrow pyramidal shape;
- inflorescences are large, their diameter can reach ten centimeters;
- flower shape is simple, bell-shaped or cupped;
- petals can be simple, double, with a wavy edge, silky or satin;
- godetia is painted in a wide variety of shades: white, pink, purple, lavender and others;
- the flower is propagated by seeds;
- in each gram of godetia fruit there are about 3500 smallest seeds - the flower is very fertile.
Attention! Germination of godetia seeds lasts for three years.
There are several ways to plant godetia: sow seeds directly into the ground, grow seedlings, sow before winter. Each of the methods has its pros and cons, but most often a delicate flower is still grown by the seedling method.
Regardless of the method of planting, first of all, the florist must choose a suitable place for the godetia in his garden. At this stage, it should be borne in mind that the plant loves light, warmth and moderate humidity. At the same time, godetia can tolerate even slight frosts, but its fragile stems do not tolerate strong winds or drafts.
Important! The best option would be to plant a godetia on the south side of the site, sheltered from the winds. The soil should be well-drained, the flower bed should be on level ground or on a small hill.
In the open field, the flower is best grown on loamy soils. In pots, boxes and flowerpots, this flower needs good drainage and a nutritious substrate. You can prepare a suitable soil yourself by mixing garden soil, river sand, peat or rotted spent oyster mushroom mycelium. It is recommended to pre-disinfect all components of the homemade substrate.
Alkaline soils are not suitable for godetia, she prefers neutral or slightly acidic. If the alkaline component in the soil exceeds the norm, you can dilute the soil with peat or urea.
Advice! To check the acidity of the soil in a flower bed, you can purchase a special indicator, which is sold in flower shops.
In most regions of Russia, it is recommended to grow godetia in a seedling way. Seeds for seedlings should be sown in mid-March or early April. Self-harvested seeds should be stored in a dark and cool place. Before planting, they do not need any special preparation, you can only disinfect the planting material in a weak solution of manganese.
For planting flowers, ordinary pots, 15-20 cm high, or plastic containers, boxes are suitable. Containers for godetia seedlings are filled with nutritious loose soil and watered with warm water. When the water is completely absorbed, they begin to spread the seeds over the surface. To work with small flower seeds more conveniently, you can mix them with wet river sand.
After sowing, the seeds are sprinkled with a thin layer of substrate or peat and the containers are covered with cling film, forming a mini-greenhouse. The godetia should now be warm until the shoots begin to emerge. Every day, the film is removed or opened for 20-30 minutes to avoid the accumulation of excess condensation.
Important! Since godetia does not tolerate transplants well, it is rarely dived. To make the plants comfortable, the seeds are immediately laid out at a sufficient distance from each other (about 2 cm) or planted in peat tablets (shown in the photo).
After the emergence of seedlings, the film is removed, containers with flowers are placed on a windowsill or under a fluorescent lamp. The temperature must not be allowed to drop, since the cold is detrimental to the seedlings of these flowers.
Now care for godetia will consist only in regular watering. After 1.5 months, flower seedlings can be transferred to a flower bed or flowerpot.
Sowing in the ground
Godetia seeds can be sown in the ground when the soil warms up well. This is usually mid-May. At the same time, flower seedlings are transferred. Far from throughout the country in May, the weather stabilizes, therefore, flowers are sown with seeds only in the southern regions.
Attention! Regardless of the planting method, an interval of at least 25 cm should be left between the flower bushes.
Seeds are sown into the ground in the same way as for seedlings: they make small grooves, water the ground and spread the godetia seeds at the desired interval, then sprinkle with a thin layer of dry earth. For the first time, you can cover the plantings with dense polyethylene, which is removed after the emergence of shoots.
The method of sowing flowers before winter is only suitable for those regions in which a lot of snow always falls in winter, and the air temperature does not drop too low (more than -15-20 degrees).
It is necessary to sow godetia a couple of weeks before the upcoming snowfall. Only in this case the seeds will have time to be saturated with moisture from the soil, but they will not germinate prematurely and will not freeze on the bare ground.
Planting godetia before winter allows you to get an earlier and more abundant flowering - the flowers grow hardened, they are not afraid of the vagaries of the weather and attacks of diseases. The bushes will begin to bloom 2-3 weeks earlier, which is especially important for those who grow flowers for sale.
How to care for a flower bed
The care of an unpretentious godetia is needed the simplest, even a beginner or inexperienced florist can provide it. To properly care for this flower, you need to take into account what is the greatest danger for godetia:
- Excessive humidity. Flowers should be watered only during dry periods. Low-lying areas of open ground, boxes and flowerpots must be drained so that water does not stagnate at the roots.
- Severe overheating. When the weather does not please with coolness for too long, it is necessary to shade the godetia and cool the flowers by spraying with cold water.
- Pests that devour the delicate leaves of godetia. Fight insects and snails with special products.
Attention! If properly cared for, the godetia will bloom profusely from July to October. You can prolong flowering by regularly cutting off dried flowers, because this stimulates the elongation of the peduncle and the appearance of new buds.
A flower care schedule should contain the following steps:
- regular watering with warm, settled water. It is important to take into account that both drought and excessive moisture are detrimental to flowers. Therefore, you will have to look for the "golden mean" by trial and error. Godetia responds very well to leaf wetness, so the air drip irrigation system will come in handy. A special system can easily be replaced by a regular garden watering can with small holes.
- You also need to fertilize the flower regularly - every 10-15 days. As a top dressing, it is better to use mineral complexes designed specifically for flowers. An important point is the fact that godetia does not like a lot of nitrogenous fertilizers.
- The flowering of the bush is very abundant, so you can pinch new strings to increase the size of the flowers. They also control the shape of the godetia bush by pruning the shoots where required.
- Near godetia bushes, it is necessary to constantly loosen the soil and remove weeds. To facilitate the maintenance of flowers, experienced growers use mulch to cover the soil around the flowers.
- When the first frosts come, the godetia bushes are pulled out along with the root and taken away from the flower bed so that they do not become a source of infection for the flowers of the next season.
Advice! From bushes of varietal species of godetia, you can collect seeds yourself so as not to buy them every year. Seed boxes are thoroughly dried and stored in a dark place at room temperature.
Godetia flowers, planting and caring for which are shown in the photo, can transform any personal plot. Today, there are a lot of varieties and varieties of this delicate flower with satin petals on sale. The variety of shades of godetia allows you to successfully use it in the preparation of flower arrangements, bouquets, combine with other flowers and plants.
Everyone can plant and grow a fragile godetia flower, you just need to make a little effort and provide the plant with comfortable conditions.